Skip to content

4 Reasons Why Your Small Business Website Sucks

Thanks for Sharing!

You are a small business owner.  You are the lifeblood of the american economy!  Congratulations of stepping out of your comfort zone and changing the status quo.  But I have to take issue with your marketing approach.  More specifically with your website.

Around 45% of small business owners claim their business does not need a website.  The other 55% do have a website and are clearly gaining a competitive edge.  But is it enough to just show up with a simple website?  Having an effective website takes intention and work.  I wrote about that in detail more here.

If you’re a smart business owner and you want to be successful you already know you need to have a website.  You need to be present within search for your industry, you also need NEED to have your website work efficiently on mobile devices.  Especially if your business has a lot of competition and you are in the services industry.

So let me get to the heart of the matter.  You’re small business website likely sucks.  Unless you have hired the right development company or you are indeed a web professional yourself.  I don’t want to beat you up, I want to help you.  Right here, right now.

Here are 4 reasons why your small business website sucks.

1. You have a website that you got for free.  You get what you paid for, no exceptions to the rule.  You feel for the Wix marketing hype.  Get a fast, free, and beautiful website in SECONDS!

Surely this isn’t the most effective marketing approach for your business.

2. Failing to look outside of your company for advice.  Don’t fool yourself with this.  Spending just a little bit on a web consultant would go a long way and provide more value.  Hire them for an hour and have them educate you on what to do!

3. You built your site, but you haven’t done ANYTHING with it.  Again, since when is it enough to just show up?  You invested to build a business and you HAVE to market or you wouldn’t be in business.  The same goes for your website.  You need to invest in marketing your website.

4. The website does not look like the business.  As a consumer, this drives me insane!  You as a business owner have no idea how much you confuse the savvy customer.  They use their cellphone to find you on google maps and see not photos of your store or three different versions of your logo.

I’m canceling my search and visiting your competitor if I’m confused and I’ll never let you know about it.

My final thought is that it’s 2013.  Your competitors are investing to market their businesses.  They are growing and crushing you if you aren’t willing to invest to become more visible and serve your customers.  I’m rooting your business and your entrepreneurial dreams, but you have to apply the same focus here as you are with your business in total.

If you have more questions, I’d be happy to chat with you.  Chances are high that we’ve worked with similar businesses already.

 

Cody Landefeld

co-founder at Mode Effect. ECommerce consultant. Coram deo.

More Posts - Twitter - LinkedIn

Thanks for Sharing!

2 Comments

  1. Patrick on September 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm

    You touched base on some great points Cody! These types of articles benefit all of us designers and developers! Thank you.

    -Pat

    • Cody Landefeld on September 7, 2013 at 9:22 pm

      Thanks Patrick! We all are fighting the good fight as designers and developers. 😉

Leave a Comment





This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: